Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought another Gen1 OBW (1997) and of course I started going through the "new to me" recommended tune-up parts and looked closely at the Spark Plug Wires and they say "Yazaki 1997 R-16-AIPS " on them.

I'm thinking these are not OEM but wanted to post on here to double-check. I did a search for Yazaki and nothing comes up on these forums and the only thing that leaves me not 100% sure that they are not OEM is that I've read in my google search results that Yazaki is an OEM plug wire manufacturer.

So, are these wires OEM? If not, I'm definitely going to ditch them for OEM.

Thank You.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
597 Posts
In general, plug wire brands don't matter too much in performance. I have used NGK and Napa on my old Legacy and felt no performance difference between the 2. The carbon conductor in the wires degrades over time. Wires work double hard on that engine due to being a waste spark system. Just use something decent but I see no reason to pay more expecting hidden power. I hope the 1997 is not a manufacturer date code like they use on tires. If so they are too old.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump
In general, plug wire brands don't matter too much in performance. I have used NGK and Napa on my old Legacy and felt no performance difference between the 2. The carbon conductor in the wires degrades over time. Wires work double hard on that engine due to being a waste spark system. Just use something decent but I see no reason to pay more expecting hidden power. I hope the 1997 is not a manufacturer date code like they use on tires. If so they are too old.
I know the EJ25 can be very picky about using OEM or NGK spark plugs and spark plug wires so the thought was that if these are not OEM, I'd buy a new set. Going to be honest, the wires do look very new but I suppose looks can be deceiving. I'll probably just dish out the $40 for a new set since you are right, I really don't know how old they are. The car is experiencing strong hesitation and low power at low RPM, so slowly swapping out the smaller tune up items since the vehicle is new to me. The intent for me is to have a smooth reliable power plant - I don't really care for the power.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,885 Posts
FWIW, the number you quoted is likely not a date code, since Google found the identical number over on ultimatesubaru.org from way back in 2006:

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,229 Posts
Recommend NGK or Denso wires.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recommend NGK or Denso wires.
Yeah - they can be pretty picky. Whenever I decide to swap them out, I will more than likely go with OEM.

I've been meaning to check what the OEMs say on my 1998, but haven't gotten around to them just yet.

Thanks,

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,229 Posts
NGK and Denso are the OEM suppliers for quite a lot of the electronics on a Subaru.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts