Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2018 Outback for regular maintenance on Friday at my Subaru dealer, a half hour drive away. It's been in service 20 months, but less than 6000 mi, so I just wanted the Schedule A service - in spite of the service advisor saying that I should have the Schedule B service. At 6 months, I also had the Schedule A done. I went through the items on the A & B, and could do most of the extra stuff, like lubricate hinges, myself.

I did specifically mention that the coolant level was below the low mark cold. Since Scedule A includes "inspect and adjust all fluids", I figured it would get done. This morning, I looked at the resevoir and it's still below the low mark. There's no puddle on the garage floor, so I'll assume it didn't leak out. There's no foam inside the oil filler cap, so I assume it's not getting into the oil. So, I can only assume that they didn't top it up.

At this point, I'd rather not deal with a vehicle service facility that doesn't even listen to what the customer is saying, and only wants to sell service packages that they don't even perform correctly. I tried to find out what kind of antifreeze/coolant to use, so I can do it myself. The only specification in the user manual is "Subaru Super", no automotive standard designation. I also found references to harming the vehicle with the wrong antifreeze. I actually have some A/C Delco stuff, but it's orange, not blue like the Subaru fluid.

I found something that might be O.K..... http://www.oemantifreeze.com/oem-blue/ ASTM D3306, They seem to offer different kinds for each vehicle make. It's in stock at a store 5 minutes away from me.

Has anyone used this, or know the Subaru ASTM spec, if it's compatible? If I have to use the genuine Subaru fluid, the next closest Subaru dealer is about an hour drive away, but I would go there anyway.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i 4EAT; Eastern Ontario, Canada
16,491 Posts
I did specifically mention that the coolant level was below the low mark cold. Since Scedule A includes "inspect and adjust all fluids",
I understand your reluctance to not go back, but if the Schedule A was clearly indicated on the work order, and all the more so if the low coolant was mentioned there as well, I'd go back this time.

Shop techs usually keep partially full jugs of coolant (the current "blue" type) at their benches for this purpose. It shouldn't be a big thing to top it off for you. Sometimes if you ask a tech, or a friendly "service adviser", they'll just give you one so you can take care of it on your own.

Or avoid the service center altogether and pick up a jug at the parts counter.

(Edit: Just noted under your avatar you are in Ottawa. The last 4-litre jug of SCI1810005 long life super coolant I paid for this summer was $25 Cdn at the dealer. Keep it well sealed and you can keep the reservoir topped up with the original coolant for a long time.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
... It shouldn't be a big thing to top it off for you. Sometimes if you ask a tech, or a friendly "service adviser", they'll just give you one so you can take care of it on your own.

Or avoid the service center altogether and pick up a jug at the parts counter.

(Edit: Just noted under your avatar you are in Ottawa.
I'm south of the airport; driving to St Laurent or Westboro ( the 2 local Subie dealers ) is a PITA if all I want is a jug of A/F. The Canadian Tire at Findlay Creek is close enough that I could bicycle to it. They show stock on hand of the OEM Blue.

I've had good service advisers, but also ones that you give a detailed description of the problem, and what you did to diagnose it. They write down something like "car makes noise"; then you have to pay labour $$ for all the things they're going to check that you have already ruled out. Makes me feel like they think I'm too stupid to understand simple automotive principles.

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '05 AWD Pontiac Vibe
198 Posts
I have used and currently use the OEM brand coolant made my Recochem in all my vehicles - Toyota and Subaru. I do this for cost reasons as well as the option to buy concentrated coolant and mix to what ever ratio I want with deionized water. CT is also close to my house like you so it is convenient.

I had previously compared the MSDS sheets to Toyota long life Pink (which is allegedly very similar if not identical to Subaru's blue) and they were the exact same ingredients for a slightly cheaper price. Toyota long life Pink also cannot he purchased in a concentrate.

I admittedly never looked up the MSDS on the OEM brand blue coolant but I did look it up for Subaru genuine blue coolant and it appeared the sake as Toyota's. This was good enough for me to feel confident running the OEM brand blue in my 2010 3.6R.

I have had it in there now for 11k km and it looks as good as it did when new. I would not hesitate to use this coolant is my future Subie

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used and currently use the OEM brand coolant made my Recochem in all my vehicles - Toyota and Subaru....

I have had it in there now for 11k km and it looks as good as it did when new. I would not hesitate to use this coolant is my future Subie
Thank you very much, fantastic! That's exactly what I wanted to know. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts