Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm dealing with a 1998 OB with a 2.5 DOHC that won't start. Back in 2013, paur4s posted the identical problem in a 99. The engine will start initially for a moment then stall and will not fire again. When I pull the plugs they are fuel soaked. The valve timing is correct. I was thinking it was possibly an injector or regulator problem fouling the plugs but I've bolted on two different manifolds from running cars and have the same result. The car originally came with a 2.5 but the PO swapped for a 2.2 . I drove the car home and two days later it spun the timing belt. I was rebuilding a 99 2.5 DOHC and decided to drop it in. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
750 Posts
I believe the DOHC and SOHC engines have different engine sensors and therefore a different wiring harness and ECU.

Have you changed the wiring harness and ECU to match the DOHC engine?

Seagrass

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the DOHC and SOHC engines have different engine sensors and therefore a different wiring harness and ECU.

Have you changed the wiring harness and ECU to match the DOHC engine?

Seagrass
The engine harness, sensors and ECU are out of a 99OB that the 2.5 DOHC came from.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
750 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pump? There is an “O” ring that can leak fuel resulting in not enough fuel pressure.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,162 Posts
The reluctor points on the cam gears are different. If you have a mismatched cam gear for the engine vs ECM, it will flood the car out because the cam sensor determines fuel injector timing.

Also, check the air intake tubing to make sure you don't have a hose disconnected from it, like the PCV or IACV, and that the clamps are tight and the MAF is plugged in good.

The ECM doesn't matter, nor the wiring harness. The reluctor on the cam gear is where people err in swapping the engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the cam sprockets that came on the 99 engine which I think are the same gears used on all 1996-1999 DOHC engines. The crank sprocket is the 6 blade used till 2004. All the hoses are tight. I've been over that multiple times changing manifold thinking I might have an injector problem.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,318 Posts
Have you verified the IACV inlet tube is connected to the main air intake tube? It's easily missed (guilty myself) during reassembly and can cause this exact issue. It's the ~1 in. diameter tube, connecting to the 90 degree elbow on the bottom of the intake tube, goes behind the intake manifold to the IACV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts