Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Here is my deal:
I have several old-motorcycles and old-bike-rallies are "my thing", my "old-bike" is almost finished being restored and I want to show it but it's not really "ride friendly" (6 1/4HP) so I want/need to bring something else with me.

I have been looking for a "Toy Hauler" that the car can pull but they apparently do not exist so I am going to build one.

5" X 8" enclosed trailer, insulated, air conditioner, interior light, walk-through door and a stereo is all I want/need (that is vaguely 1,400 pounds) and 800 pounds of motorcycles at the most (a big-bike and a little-bike) puts me at 2,200 plus gear.

I seem to keep arriving at 2,650 total, the car (2012 OB LTD 3.6, factory hitch) is rated for 3,000.

Am I too close weight-wise?

Vince

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Workable but after a show season I doubt youll still want to use the OB. It is just working hard at 2600lbs you wont be wanting to do any trips with climbs after your first trip with a few hills.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Workable but after a show season I doubt youll still want to use the OB. It is just working hard at 2600lbs you wont be wanting to do any trips with climbs after your first trip with a few hills.
With the 3.6?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
With the 3.6?
Even with the 2.5 power is ok its every thing else suspension, braking and cooling. 2600lbs is pretty much the top end of what I found to be ok for short trips and for the most part flat lower speed towing. It will work but youll know what I mean about just feeling really heavy and pushing the suspension and running gear hard. For sure nice electric brake system will really help.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you can build up a super nice handlng trailer that will make a big difference also. Maybe slightly longer tongue length than normal with the axle set back just a smidge vs the standard box rig fr sure dont over do the axle stick to a load rated axle that gives your expected weight a good ride. I run 2000lb rated springs for my 1300lb boat. The longer tongue and axle set back a little by far one of the nicest trailers Ive ever towed crazy stable and tracks like a dream. How ever the boat is 8.5ft wide and being cautious about taking mirrors off F150s crowding the lane line is a constant effort. That rig normally runs 1700lbs but on big camping trips one a year we get into the 2500ish range.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking for opinions on this

I am REALLY-WORRIED about cutting into my stock harness (I'm an electrical Moron also!) and this seems to do away with that.

Vince

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've pulled a little more than that through the Texas hill country. The suspension seems fine. Put a transmsission cooler on, make sure the load is balanced, you won't lack for power. Trailer brakes would be good as well.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am currently on a trip from SE Idaho to Yuma,AZ. We want to see some areas we have not been to so our trip has been to Boise, Id then to Bend, Or then to Reno,Nv via Crater Lake. We are in Reno right now. I have a 2012 3.6R Outback with a transmission cooler and transmission temperature gauge. I am towing a 5 ft by 12 ft V nose Utility Trailer. It has a special built height of 6 feet overall. Trailer weight loaded is 2000 lbs. Trailer does have brakes with a Prodigy brake controller. Crater Lake gives a very good work out as the grades are fairly good. So far the 3.6 has not lacked in power. I have been able to do all grades at posted speed limit or 60 mph which is the max speed I will tow at. California limits you to 55 mph. I have not had to exceed 3500 rpm to make the power required for all grades so far. My engine temps as per a Scan Gauge have been 206 under all driving conditions. That is where the thermostat seems to run my engine. My transmission temps did peak at 245 on a couple grades inside Crater Lake going around the lake loop. On level ground at 60 mph the transmission runs 120-180. The outback handles the trailer very well and braking with trailer brakes has been very smooth. So far I have averaged about 20 mpg.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I am currently on a trip from SE Idaho to Yuma,AZ. We want to see some areas we have not been to so our trip has been to Boise, Id then to Bend, Or then to Reno,Nv via Crater Lake. We are in Reno right now. I have a 2012 3.6R Outback with a transmission cooler and transmission temperature gauge. I am towing a 5 ft by 12 ft V nose Utility Trailer. It has a special built height of 6 feet overall. Trailer weight loaded is 2000 lbs. Trailer does have brakes with a Prodigy brake controller. Crater Lake gives a very good work out as the grades are fairly good. So far the 3.6 has not lacked in power. I have been able to do all grades at posted speed limit or 60 mph which is the max speed I will tow at. California limits you to 55 mph. I have not had to exceed 3500 rpm to make the power required for all grades so far. My engine temps as per a Scan Gauge have been 206 under all driving conditions. That is where the thermostat seems to run my engine. My transmission temps did peak at 245 on a couple grades inside Crater Lake going around the lake loop. On level ground at 60 mph the transmission runs 120-180. The outback handles the trailer very well and braking with trailer brakes has been very smooth. So far I have averaged about 20 mpg.

Yep that trip is my pretty normal stomping grounds. The temps are way down as of about a two weeks ago anything 80 degrees and under outside temps has a big impact on your cooling vs heat issues on the car for sure! We do have a warm up mid to end of this week though still should be mild up in Oregon. The Crater lake haul is slow which case you should have zero worry about temps or pushing hard anyway. I do the Rouge River up to Crater trip once or twice a year on my way from Family in Medford to Family in Pasco WA. Believe it or not even with the 80 miles extra going up through Bend and across that way is only an hour longer FAR FAR more fun and scenic and we always get far superior mileage vs the I5 blast north to Portland than the Blast up the Columbia to Eastern Washington.

Really watch your self in that section about 15-20 miles south of the Oregon Border where I-5 speeds drop from 70 to 55 its a money maker for the CA Highway Patrol they love to write tickets for 70+ in a 55 ;-) By the way speeding ticket with the trailer essentially doubles the fine! So keep that in mind. I've never been nailed but a very good friend was hit for doing 63mph on I-5 just south of 256 while towing my boat actually LOL. The fine was $900!!!! obviously had he not been towing there would have been zero ticket given they don't even look at you on I-5 till your 75+ in a car or truck sans trailer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing