Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the pads and rotors on my 05 Outback at the end of May with Hawk HPS pads and Centric rotors. There have been some squeaks, but overall they've been great. I've noticed a squeak/squeal after driving on the highway, but not enough to warrant a real inspection.

I happened to take a peak at the right rear wheel this morning, and saw this bubbling near the pad. I'm presuming this means that the caliper is seized, or was at some point, and the grease boiled?

What's the best course of action here?

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
What's the best course of action here?
That's a very easy answer - take the thing apart and see what is wrong with it. If the caliper is frozen, I recommend changing both rear calipers and basically redoing the brakes. If the pins are frozen, it's a judgement call. As old as the calipers are, I would just change them .....

That one you pictured is probably toast.

What about the front ones?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fronts are in great shape - no problems.

One of the slides on the left rear was sticking so I replaced it when I did the pads and rotors. The right rear caliper was fine so I lubed the slides, but didn't do anything besides that. I'm heading out of town on Wednesday morning and am planning to take the car with me.

At this point, I'm not sure I have time to redo the rear brakes again, but I'll also be driving on the highway for most of day Wednesday, so I may need to make time...

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,107 Posts
it's hard to tell what's going on. Could simply be some paint flaking off or, as you mentioned, some residue from lube. Some lube has cermaic particles in some kinda carrier goop.

need to take stuff apart probably.

Try StopTech Street Performance pads next time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm thinking more and more that I need to get the wheel off and get the caliper off and see what's going on there...

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
How does the shiny part of the disk look?
Are there any blue or dark spots indicating excessive heat?
Do you recall ever stopping and smelling or seeing the brakes burning (smoke) on that wheel?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does the shiny part of the disk look?
Are there any blue or dark spots indicating excessive heat?
Do you recall ever stopping and smelling or seeing the brakes burning (smoke) on that wheel?
The rotor is in great shape - no scars, scratches, or gouges.

I had a nail in my tire and dropped by the mechanic that does the work that I don't do on my car this morning. He thought that there might have been too much grease between the shim and the caliper and that's what caused the bubbling under heat.

Still, I'll get the wheel off later today and take a better look.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Where do you live - in the Rust Belt? That is a pretty scabby looking caliper. If it were my car I would just get replacements to be safe. That much nasty, flaking stuff on the outside often indicates some internal damage as well.

My '07 calipers still have all the plating on them. Don't take shortcuts with your brakes.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts