Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tomorrow i pick up my new 2004 OBS. Got a good deal and im finally getting out of my 2000 jetta.which i know is now gonna be someone elses headache.
downside....... theres no way im going to get any sleep tonite.:p

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
just camp out at the dealer's so you can get it first thing!

Congratulations- I'm sure you'll love it!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
leto, congrats and welcome to your new favorite resource for your new baby. I'm getting jealous now with having a two year old OBS! Brian

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you mind sharing what the price is? (Or did you trade in your Jetta, making it hard to determine what the actual retail price was...)

just wondering. I thought about holding out for a leftover 04 OBS myself, but couldn't resist the sweet 02 I found used.

-Peter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
price

price was 17771 minus the 3100 i had in jetta equity
add on the extra 3 years of subaru warranty at 1100
so im covered for 6 years 60000 miles
i only average 8000 miles a year driving

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my ob

its the green pearl,standard tranny.me no do automatics in a 4 cylinder.dat would just be crazy.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Re: my ob

leto said:
its the green pearl,standard tranny.me no do automatics in a 4 cylinder.dat would just be crazy.
Leto I used to think that, but honestly todays Auto tranny is so efficient and has enough gears that there's very little performance loss, it's about the same difference as airconditioner on or off on most cars I've driven.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
but note that that last comment comes from someone with the torquemonster six......try somehting like a Civic Si or any VTEC Honda 4 banger with slushbox for an eloquent counterpoint! i've had livelier cream of wheat. oozin and cruisin, doncha know.

to large extent, he';s right, even EPA ratings are close or even sometimes better for the oh-so-magic trans. real world, i agree with you...even GREAT AT in my buddy's $45K Slaab 9-5 turbo, even when set in "sport" mode, has a "slush moment" before it does anything, which drives me bat****. i'll confine my shiftlessness to my finances, thanks.

in sub.s, it also makes a bigger diff....the MT has 50/50 torque split F/R while the slushbox (4EAT system) is biased 90% F/10% rear, with more to rear as needed. i LIKE the 50/50 split, makes the car easier to slide controllably.

anyway, congrats.

hey, i know Volvo has a factory program to recognize cars that have gone various multiples of 100K miles (they oughta be rewarded for not dying of boredom in that many miles in a Volvo...)and one of the enthusiast places for VWs does similar. both of em give out decals for the # of 1000Ks the car has gone....great advtg, i'd think. anyone know if anyone, SoA or otherwise, does this for Sub.s??

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
and who you callin a yippie anyway....??? just cuz i have a VW bus.... <G>

i'll have you know i hold down a reglr job, sometimes shop in a mainstream grossery store, and have never been to more than 4 Dead shows in a row...

bw

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
cptoversteer said:
but note that that last comment comes from someone with the torquemonster six......try somehting like a Civic Si or any VTEC Honda 4 banger with slushbox for an eloquent counterpoint! i've had livelier cream of wheat. oozin and cruisin, doncha know.

Well I have the 3.0R now, but I've had an auto Honda Integra, first series 1.6l and that car was impossible to get off the line in manual form, worked quite well as an auto, very low torque at low revs. Most auto cars I've driven were 4cylinder, it really depends on the quality of the auto. I've also owned auto Mazda 323 Astina, auto Mazda MX6 4cyl, auto BMW318i (x2)...

For a really bad example of the delay you mention try driving an auto new Mini, talk about weird, but of course they have the rubber band tranny. For a really good FAST auto try the Mazda6, very positive action and fast shifts. The 3.0R auto is by now means perfect, it does delay a little, but it's a vast improvement on the previous generation from what I've heard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oooops

wow i didnt mean to start a flame war.standard vs auto
my comment was biased.
i would have jumped in sooner but i have been to busy driving my outback.
i love the way the engine sounds. its got this you dont want to piss me off sound.
only thing im not liking are the tires. dont ever buy bridgestone potenza re 92's. doing 25 miles an hour last nite and braking normally for a red light on a wet road they broke lose and the car slid like it was on ice.these tires are really a lawsuit waiting to happen.they should be taken off the market.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
once you get used to how little grip the RE92s have- they get to be a lot of fun!
I was driving sideways through turns on a mountain road on my way home from work last night.

5(or more)spd4evr!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
kestonh
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing