Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you pick between the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 and Falken Wildpeak A/T and why? Any thoughts on going to a 225 vs 235? Going from 18" wheel to 17".

Planning on getting a new tire/rim setup this week for my 2018 2.5 Limited in preparation for heading up to Tahoe for snowboarding. OEM Duelers are on their last legs at 4 to 5/32 with two slow leaks approaching less than 30k miles These two tires have appeared everywhere as viable upgrades for Outbacks. Not trying to make redundant posts, but on this forum I haven't seen a head-to-head discussion that analyzes how these two well-reviewed and popular tires compare and contrast against each other. Right now Falkens are $129 and Yokohama are $150. I am probably putting these on a 17" Method 503--I like the Method 502s but they are heavier and am having enough trouble as it is with what I think is an underpowered engine with a family of five and gear.

I do mostly highway/city driving on but will be taking a dozen or more trips up to snowy Tahoe this winter--3PMSF is a must. Also will be hitting some light fire trails and excursions out to BLM land in the spring and summer for camping, hunting, and shooting--but nothing major. I am willing to add some unsprung weight to the existing setup but don't need KO2 / Grabbers. Not considering dedicated winter tires so this has to be a Swiss-Army knife of tires. I see a lot of folks upgrading to one or the other but since the Falken Wildpeak A/T tires are so new, I haven't seen much discussion between these two. At this point I am splitting hairs and will probably be happy with either one. Thanks in advance for any help or experiences.

Falken Wildpeak A/T

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just ordered the Falkens today. I was looking at the same thing. The Falkens appear to be a bit more aggressive as far as the tread is concerned. A bonus is that I think it looks better.
I went with the Motegi mr148. It's 2# heavier, but is half the price, with a better load rating. (Just trying to make myself feel better about not going with Methods)

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
188 Posts
I’m in a similar boat but if I go with the G015 I’ll wait for the 225/60/18 that will be out late December-ish.

In one of the Wildpeak Trail threads in the Tire sub forum, @Brucey wasn’t crazy about the Wildpeak AT3 in the snow and Falken rates the snow performance the same between the two on their web site.

There’s also a long thread saying the G015 is a tank in the snow.

I’d like to see a head to head comparison in snow. I don’t expect either to perform as well as a true winter tire, but would like better snow performance than a standard all season.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight
279 Posts
I don't have the Wildpeak Trails but had to do some research on tires due to getting a nail. I was boarder line to having to replace all 4. Got lucky. Anyway, I would have bought these. Like the OP I was looking for 1 tire for all year. As mentioned by OP this is a brand new tire. Comparing to the Wildpeak AT3's snow performance doesn't make since to me. Not sure if that helps at all. :cautious:

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
188 Posts
I mentioned the AT3 since Falken rates both a 4.5 out of 5 in the snow on their web site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Looks like we can't go wrong with either of these tires. Right now the Falken Wildpeak A/T is about $20 cheaper per tire but the Geolandars sure seem to be a can't lose pick. I will probably be deciding in the next day or two so keep the feedback coming--especially regarding winter performance.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
465 Posts
I'll add a third to the list you may want to consider, having used Hankook ATM/RF10 tires on my GMC Envoy. They chew through snow and slush like nobody's business, nearly unstoppable, and also carry the Mountain/Snowflake rating. Not to mention, they wore like iron, and also have a tread wear warranty of 50,000 miles. - They were awesome tires, and oh so much better than the Michelins that came stock on that vehicle. Not sure their available in that size, but if they are, you may want to take a look.

How to the weights between the Wildpeak & Geolanders compare? - I'm all for keeping the un-sprung weight down as much as possible. I wanted the Hankooks for my Outback, but they didn't come in a size that would fit a 4th Gen. Best I could do was the top snow rated all season by CR, which as the General Altimax AT43 tires at the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will give the Hankooks some thought to see if they will fit. The Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail weigh 36 lb and the Geolander A/T G015 weigh 33 lb. Otherwise pretty identical with the Falkens rated 680 vs 600 for treadwear and 11 for tread depth with 12 for the Geolandars.
A/T G015

·
Registered
18 Posts
235/65/17 Wildpeak Trail Gen 4 Outback owner here. I’ve put about 700 miles on these tires so far, mostly on road. They are excellent tires. Quieter, grippier with a better ride and handling than the Continental all seasons they replaced. Haven’t tested them in snow and cold yet as I’m in the Phoenix area. Mpg has gone down 1.5 mpg, 5ish lbs over stock set up mounted on 17x8 Motegi MR118, but that’s a trade I was willing to make going up almost 2 inches over the stock 225/60/17.
4E0DBE67-0908-47E6-A11E-03F405F4FDAD.jpeg

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Limited
24 Posts
Rin do your tires rub at 235/65/17? I'm so afraid to change from the stock size but you have the tires I want!

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Limited
24 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
18 Posts
They don’t rub at all. I’m still on stock suspension. The wheels are 17x8 +45 offset. Factory wheel size is 17x7 +48 offset. Looks like my wheels are 9mm closer to the strut perch than factory wheels, so you should clear no problem if you are wanting to keep factory wheels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They don’t rub at all. I’m still on stock suspension. The wheels are 17x8 +45 offset. Factory wheel size is 17x7 +48 offset. Looks like my wheels are 9mm closer to the strut perch than factory wheels, so you should clear no problem if you are wanting to keep factory wheels. They are VERY close to the front of the rear wheel well and haven’t had it loaded to max weight yet.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Limited
24 Posts
Yeah that looks very close. I might go with 235/60/17.

Either way very nice thanks for the response and pic.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
465 Posts
Interesting, as 235-65/17 usually don't fit without rubbing. Could you possibly get a head on picture of a front and rear tire, so we could see the clearance in the wheel wells?

Was the 5lb per wheel due to the new rim, or the tire? - Love the rims btw, previously always wanted polished rims, but black rims have really been appealing to me lately. I ever upgrade to a 2020, it will be an Onyx for the looks.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 Touring
33 Posts
Went to a local dealer for the Falken Wildpeak Trail A/T that Falken website lists as a seller.
They can’t get them but would install them if I ordered online.
Shipping is $80 to our house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
136 Posts
You may want to look into an alignment if you have two bad Deuller tires at 30,000 miles. Hate to see you get new tires and have two of those go bad. I know a lot of people diss them online, but I'm at 40,000 with another 20,000 to go. No joke.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
Just bought a new 2020 Onyx XT, looking to get either Falken Wildpeak AT Trails or Geo's, then a little down the road, a 2" lift. I'm sticking with the 18" wheels. Will 235/6018's be fine with the lift? Better to stick with 225/6018? What's the trade-off? I appreciate any guidance; it's all new to me.

·
Registered
2020 Outback, 2019 Crosstrek
7 Posts
Why do you want a lift kit? Snow? Off roading? I always wanted a lift but was too worried about possible damage to my vehicle. I can tell you from experience (driving all around the Great Lakes states) if it’s snow, you’ll be fine with those tires and no lift kit.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts