Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
413 Posts
As stated, no need to spend $2000 for a lift, that's crazy.

I pulled the trigger last last year for the parts, and finally got them installed in January.....weather finally cooperated. I didn't go whole hog, but spent quite a bit less than $2000, actually well less than half that. And I went with completely new struts and springs at the same time. - If I was pulling them babies out to add the spacers, figured I might as well firm up the soft '10-'12 suspension with 65k on them at the same time. Bought a full set of Rallitek Springs (front & rear) from another member, who installed bu never really drove on them, a set of lightly used 1" ADF spacers, and assembled them myself, to make them ready to swap right in. - Even with all the new parts, I was maybe $600, and used the better '13/'14 upgraded KYB struts. (That also included near top-hats, bearings, insulators, the works, and not as many low cost options with the 4th Gen).

End result was 1.3-1.4 inches in the front and 2" in the rear (Rallitek overloads springs add some height), and she aligned just fine, and looks GREAT! - She now has a nice authoritative stance.

So why doesn't anyone talk bout the Maxxis AT-771 tires? - They're lighter and less expensive than either the Wild-Peaks for Geolanders. Doubt the snow performance can be any worse than the Wild-Peaks, reading online reviews. Just curious.

·
Registered
'03 LLBean Outback 3.0
10 Posts
What would you pick between the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 and Falken Wildpeak A/T and why? Any thoughts on going to a 225 vs 235? Going from 18" wheel to 17".

Planning on getting a new tire/rim setup this week for my 2018 2.5 Limited in preparation for heading up to Tahoe for snowboarding. OEM Duelers are on their last legs at 4 to 5/32 with two slow leaks approaching less than 30k miles These two tires have appeared everywhere as viable upgrades for Outbacks. Not trying to make redundant posts, but on this forum I haven't seen a head-to-head discussion that analyzes how these two well-reviewed and popular tires compare and contrast against each other. Right now Falkens are $129 and Yokohama are $150. I am probably putting these on a 17" Method 503--I like the Method 502s but they are heavier and am having enough trouble as it is with what I think is an underpowered engine with a family of five and gear.

I do mostly highway/city driving on but will be taking a dozen or more trips up to snowy Tahoe this winter--3PMSF is a must. Also will be hitting some light fire trails and excursions out to BLM land in the spring and summer for camping, hunting, and shooting--but nothing major. I am willing to add some unsprung weight to the existing setup but don't need KO2 / Grabbers. Not considering dedicated winter tires so this has to be a Swiss-Army knife of tires. I see a lot of folks upgrading to one or the other but since the Falken Wildpeak A/T tires are so new, I haven't seen much discussion between these two. At this point I am splitting hairs and will probably be happy with either one. Thanks in advance for any help or experiences.

Falken Wildpeak A/T

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
I have Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on my 2wd Chevy Express 3500 van. Previously, that behemoth was sketchy on snowy roads, but now it does well in all weather. I chose the
Wildpeak AT3W over the BFG All-Terrain KO2's purely because they were significantly cheaper and Consumer Reports rated them almost as high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lifted my 2020 XT Touring.
LP 2” lift
LP 17 wheels
Geolandar 245/65R17

The Geolandar’s are not any louder than the factory tires from my position. The insulated windows are legit on the XT Touring. The handling is just fine.
I don’t regret a thing.
MPG took a small hit, but not much.
Acceleration is a LITTLE sluggish from a stop, but the turbo does just fine on the road/highway when merging, passing, etc.
Got the 18-20mph wobble I was warned about, but the CVT spacer I just got from AD should take care of that.

Didn’t NEED to lift if I went with 235s, but I did want the extra clearance (regardless of other people’s opinions.)
This last weekend, I am glad I got the extra clearance. Kept me from getting mired in a cleverly hidden culvert filled with leaves at 4:30am after a 12 hour shoot on location in BFE. Car behind me; not so lucky. No idea when they they got back to HQ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new 2020 Onyx XT, looking to get either Falken Wildpeak AT Trails or Geo's, then a little down the road, a 2" lift. I'm sticking with the 18" wheels. Will 235/6018's be fine with the lift? Better to stick with 225/6018? What's the trade-off? I appreciate any guidance; it's all new to me.
I've had the Geolandar G015 225/60r18 tires on my Onyx XT for a month now with no issues. They have seemed pretty good on some snowy forest roads while other vehicles were having some issues.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
325 Posts
I've had the Geolandar G015 225/60r18 tires on my Onyx XT for a month now with no issues. They have seemed pretty good on some snowy forest roads while other vehicles were having some issues.
Are sure that is the size? As of 1 month ago at least G015 did not come in 225 size...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I had a few people pm me about this and realized that I never circled back to create a follow up post regarding what ended up getting for my 2018 Limited 2.5: MR503 and 235/65/17 Falken AT.

To recap: II live in the SF Bay Area and to pay for my adventures I am a 25 mile per day highway roundtrip commuter. But I often travel up to Tahoe and the Sierras both in winter for snowboarding and in the summer for camping. I had a full size truck for my family of 5 so downsizing in space and power with the Outback has been an adjustment. Don't have the budget for a second dedicated car or truck so my Outback has to be a Swiss Army knife, do it all vehicle.

Anyhow, the stock Duelers on my car were nearly trashed at 30k miles and I knew that I wanted to go to smaller wheels with upgraded tires that had to be snow rated, have some traction for fire roads and light offroading but also be pretty compliant on the road. My opinion is that this car is already so underpowered that it didn't make sense to add unnecessary weight to the car--especially the wheels. I have a Yakima box and ski racks on my roof so you can imagine what it's like to be driving at altitude on the highway with five people plus gear inside and atop the vehicle. I don't know what takes more time--packing for a trip or trying to pass slower traffic while underway.

That's why when I see all these guys trying to squeeze massive tires like BFG KO2s paired with heavier than stock aftermarket wheels into their wheel wells it just seems ridiculous overkill to me if I were to do that for my needs. Still other people are getting heavy wheels and tires plus they are adding lift kits and things and I just don't see how that would work with my 2018 for the kind of driving I do. If I ever go to that point I'd just give up and buy a Toyota 4 Runner or say screw it all and get a full-size pickup once again.

My impressions of my setup. The 17" MR503s weigh less than the stock wheels while the Falkens are a bit heavier than stock tires. I forget the specs but I think my rims + tires unsprung weight is about the same as before but I have better tires and I also like the way the black wheels contrast with the Venetian red. Ride is definitely a bit more cushy with the extra rubber and I have not noticed any difference in dry road handling. Snow handling has been great as has wet weather: plowed carefully straight through lots of snow and slush while everyone else was messing with chains during a recent snowstorm. Some additional road noise but not really much at all. So overall I would do everything again the same and would not consider anything other than the Method line and I don't need the heavier rims from their other rally wheels. Gonna check the tread wear on these new Falkens as they just came out. I considered the Geolanders but the Falkens were a litte bit cheaper for pretty much identical specs. I got them from Discount Tire and was able to finance them with no interest which is a pretty easy way to swallow the package--the rebates they had in November/December sure helped too. I'd say they are both the Yokohama Geolandars and the newer Falkens are pretty comparable at this point. The only other mod I have done is the Rally Armour mud flaps (awesome!) and I ordered but haven't installed yet the rear sway bar kit--don't like the body roll on the twisty mountain roads.

Hope this perspective adds something to the discussion
!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts