Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnetite Gray
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They fit.

225/65R17 Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS (OEM tire)
diameter | width | tread depth | weight
28.5 | 9 | 10/32" | 27lb

225/70R17 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
diameter | width | tread depth | weight
29.6 | 9.1 | 13/32" | 33.2lb

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can you explain why the larger size since the Yokos are available in OEM size? Is it a ground clearance thing?

1.1" diff in O.D. What's the speedo error?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Freaking awesome photos! Also the tires look great. But... doesn't the larger diameter mess up the AWD somehow, not to mention the odometer?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

After 18k miles the tires were down to 2/32" and essentially worn out. Discount gave me a $300 warranty trade-in and I installed a set of Cooper Discoverer M+S w/ studs in P235/65R17. I do a lot of canyon driving and my Outback is frequently "weighed down" but I expected these tires to last at least two seasons. But, with Discount's warranty I'll probably buy the same set again at the end of the winter.

Here are pictures of the Yokohama tires just after removal, and the new studded snows.

Attachments

Reactions: RHP

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
How many of those 18k were unpaved?

·
Registered
2015 O/B Premium w e/s
147 Posts
That's some crazy wear. The middle 2 in the stack were very worn. Did they spend most of the time as rears. Any explanation on the wear differences?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many of those 18k were unpaved?
Hard to say but at least a thousand. Im pretty hard on my cars and live 2 miles deep on an unpaved road.

That's some crazy wear. The middle 2 in the stack were very worn. Did they spend most of the time as rears. Any explanation on the wear differences?
They were rotated at 5k 10k and 15k. I cant explain the wear differences and I dont know the order of the stack.

·
Registered
Outback 3.6R Limited (ordered)
2 Posts
Cooper Discoverer with studs on my wife's Land Cruiser and that car is unstoppable in the snow. We've enjoyed many seasons with them. Need to decide on what we're going to get for our OB that is supposed to be here in 13 days!

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
Hard to say but at least a thousand. Im pretty hard on my cars and live 2 miles deep on an unpaved road.

They were rotated at 5k 10k and 15k. I cant explain the wear differences and I dont know the order of the stack.
Well, the wear is then surprising. My 225-60-17 AT-S was wearing well before being destroyed by bad alignment after my 0.5" lift between 17k and 21,500 miles. Then, with the alignment "corrected," my 225-65-17 Geolander AT-S lost 2/32nds in 4,000 miles till a non-dealer finally CORRECTED the alignment. Even so, I have 17,000 miles on the new set now and I estimate I will get another 20,000 of pavement driving on them.

So, assuming no alignment issues, my Geolander AT-S would have lasted about 40,000 miles each to 4/32nds or 50,000 to 2/32nds with 5% off-pavement driving. I have about 1,700 miles of trails and dirt roads between the two sets.

Cooper Discoverer with studs on my wife's Land Cruiser and that car is unstoppable in the snow. We've enjoyed many seasons with them. Need to decide on what we're going to get for our OB that is supposed to be here in 13 days!
I just got 225-65-17 BFG TA KO2 with the snowflake. This is 1" oversize for me but would be stock size for you.

I am giving up on the "one tire fits all scenarios" model adopted back in 2011 on my B9 (Toyo Open Country AT II). I now want an oversize standout tire for off-pavement and a good OEM size street tire for DD (but will first finish the AT-S off in this capacity; as tires lose a lot of diameter over time, the formerly oversize AT-S is now an hair smaller in diameter than a brand new 225-60-17).

I think I was happier when I knew less about tires, tire wear, tire diameter, and so on:grin2:

Reactions: Brad99

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
667 Posts
Back in the day, the dirt road rally guys were all using Cooper trires. They were really durable under that abuse. Been out of touch with that gang for years, but I'd still check them out for your kind of summer driving on gravel roads.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts