Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boys and girls, what is your favorite characteristic of your Subie? Mine would definitely be the sound. The intake/header/catback combo kicks butt. Sounds like a beast, especially for being an OBS! So what is it? The color? The fact that it's never been in the shop? Maybe the little DIY mod you did? Enlighten me/us...Brian

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
The easy power delivery. It's a very torquey engine for "only" a 2.5L 4 cylinder. The 4.444 diff gear, max. torque at 3,600rpm and flexibility make it very easy to drive in traffic.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
It's ability to carry cargo, in-town or off-road. Makes a grea airport limo, too.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
60.3 Inches in January alone...

...The way it looks driving through snow.

No car on the planet looks better in a snowstorm than a 1st Gen. White Outback Wagon, especially a post `96 with hood scoop.

Everytime I drive past another one (which is rediculously frequent here in Rochester), I can't help but think how much it, and mine, resemble the old GI Joe Snowcat vehicle:

...if only I had rocket launchers on MY roof too. Maybe Peaty can help us out with that mod...I'm sure there must be an easy way to attach the unit to the roof rack. :D

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Yeah, they're really cute in white ... you know, they just sort of seem innocent.

I got mine in dark green, for hiding under trees *G*

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,120 Posts
Losiho said:
The easy power delivery. It's a very torquey engine... The 4.444 diff gear, max. torque at 3,600rpm and flexibility make it very easy to drive in traffic.
That is the standard for all Outbacks it seems as far as power delivery. Losiho I know you were referring to the 2.5L, but...

Peaty said:
torque and more torque :)
...its like Peaty said, torque and more torque! I think this is mainly due to the flat, boxer design of the engines. Subaru's boxer engines are all very torquey, especially for their respective sizes. As Peaty was saying, the smooth rich torque of the H6-3.0 is one of my favorite things, but...

The_Lizard said:
It's ability to carry cargo, in-town or off-road...
I love when people give me crap for having a wagon, those are the same people who want me to drive them to the Furniture mart so they can haul their new TV back to their house because it won't fit in their Civic or Camry or other POS. It is a nice thing to have, ya know all that cargo room. But you also have to consider one of the main things that people buy Subaru for also. This may not be the exact reason, but...

FMGreen said:
...The way it looks driving through snow
A Subaru shows its "True Might" in the worst weather that ole'hag Mother Nature can throw at it (I can testify, ya'll should have been with me on my drive to Chicago :eek: ). She will probably strike Omaha now with ANOTHER snowstorm, no big deal because lke Mr. Green said Subarus just look so **** good in the snow. I don't know if that's quite accurate though, sometimes Subarus may be the only cars driving around in the stuff. Most cars don't look that good in the snow, but most cars and trucks are usually in the ditch when I see them "IN THE SNOW!" :21:

Yea those are all great things, for me my favorite thing is that of all Subarus and not just the Outback. I have a great faith in Subaru now because of their AWD, if not for it I would have been buried in a ditch somewhere on I-80 many times by now. When I bought my car at first I kinda regretted it for a while, but I remembered when my salesman told me that when you buy AWD you don't buy anything else. I have no regrets now and probably won't as long as I stick with Subies :D

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
Everyone has covered my favs pretty well already (power delivery, ability to eat up snow, cargo capacity) . I'll just add two small things that I really like...weatherband radio and outside temp. Minor attributes but I couldn't do without them now that I've had them. Oh yeah... white Outbacks rock!:D

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
weatherband radio
I was starting to wonder if any other OB owners listen to that squawkbox radio band; it is really useful for me when I'm camping. I'm often disappointed in the strength of signal, though - it's bad enough that the sound quality is like a science-fair project, but on top of that the broadcast signal seems to be kept weak so the different stations don't interfere with each other.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
The_Lizard said:

I was starting to wonder if any other OB owners listen to that squawkbox radio band; it is really useful for me when I'm camping. I'm often disappointed in the strength of signal, though - it's bad enough that the sound quality is like a science-fair project, but on top of that the broadcast signal seems to be kept weak so the different stations don't interfere with each other.
Yeah, the sound quality is a little low but it sure is nice being able to get a weather forecast whenever I want one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts