Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting the ECM reprogrammed next weekend, and figure I might as well take advantage of fact I have to drag the car over there and get the oil changed (11250, so I wouldn't do anything else) instead of doing it myself. I've got my certs, and thought I could just use that.

$100 minus either $40 for the regular or $60 for the synthetic, what do I buy?

Also, any opinions on whether I should being my own PureOne filter instead of using the Subaru Blue are more than welcome.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
since your even comparing, once you switch to synthetic you cant change back. i would stick with conventional. however, i use synthetic but it's up to you. its hard to go wrong with a filter, except wrong size of course, but id stick with whats cheapest. the subaru filters should be no more than $5 from your dealer. get a bunch of them. i got a box of unused ones on ebay. i think your talking about the same ECM thing i need to get done, im wondering if its worth the gas to go to the dealer and get it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Probably some stock in an ETF. Though I might wait another week or two and let the fiscal cliff marinate a bit more and scare off a bunch of day traders then jump in at lower rates.

Then maybe in a few years get a custom 4x4 camper built for a midsized pick up for some all weather adventures.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can switch between conventional and synthetic engine oil!!!

since your even comparing, once you switch to synthetic you cant change back. i would stick with conventional. however, i use synthetic but it's up to you. its hard to go wrong with a filter, except wrong size of course, but id stick with whats cheapest. the subaru filters should be no more than $5 from your dealer. get a bunch of them. i got a box of unused ones on ebay. i think your talking about the same ECM thing i need to get done, im wondering if its worth the gas to go to the dealer and get it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Bradze I like your posts but this one is one of the oldest wives tales for oil there is. I switch back and forth and between brands all the time have been for a very long time based on what has the best discount sale going at the time.

The only issue with oil today is simply not changing it be it synthetic or regular oil you need to change it occasionally or you wreck your cars sensitive bits.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
There's all kinds of swag type stuff in the parts dept.

STI oil cap or battery hold down.
STI radiator cap
Subaru blue stainlees water bottles.
oil filters
Subaru blue LED flashlight
All weather floor mat replica coasters.
Subaru first aid kit
Subaru emergency kit
and my personal favorite: STI/WRX valve stem caps.;)

You can blow through $60 bucks in no time. I did.

·
Registered
80 Posts

You're, not your

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rear Seat Back protectors, but $60 might not cover that totally.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
since your even comparing, once you switch to synthetic you cant change back.
Utterly, completely, totally, and every other synonym FALSE.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Buy flashlights and emergency supplies for when the lights go out on Jan 1.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Like others have already stated, you can switch back and forth. I've done it, on multiple vehicles, and never had a problem. Even car manufactures don't say you can't switch. All they require is a oil weight that meets specific ASE/API specs.

BTW, I already spent my $40-$60 tonight. I ordered a 10lbs bag of mushroom popcorn... Man, there's going to be lots of kettle corn come from my kitchen for the next month or so....

·
Registered
514 Posts
...BTW, I already spent my $40-$60 tonight. I ordered a 10lbs bag of mushroom popcorn... Man, there's going to be lots of kettle corn come from my kitchen for the next month or so....
LOL!
I can see the kitchen walls and doors bulging outwardly from the corn about ready to BURST-FORTH and inundate the entire first floor of your home! :( :confused: :17:

Seriously, now,
:17::roadtrip:You should buy a Faraday cage for your car so when the electromagnetic pulses from a solar flair envelope the earth and everything electric and electronic fries, you will still have your car to drive your family, neighbors and friends everywhere!
:):cool::(:confused::eek::13::drool::creeplook:
:lurk::jump::crazyeye:
:gasp::17:

Of course you won't be able to buy gas, so you might want to fill up the car and your gas cans with gasoline and forget the oil for the time being! :roadtrip: :17:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nothing. I save my money.
He has Subaru $100 certificate (credit card reward)...so he has to use it or lose it.

Note that I said Lose not Loose :gasp:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
26 Participants
mopartodd
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing