Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a new thread where we talk about our best drive in an Outback ???? I'll go first.............

Early February, 2004, less than 1,000 miles on my 04 35th anniversary OB, white, H-6. Just me, the wife, and the Pacific Coast Highway. Travelling north from San Luis Obispo to the Monterey Bay. Early morning, some clouds, some sun. In 100 miles the highway twists and turns, plunges and climbs, and the ocean views are beyond belief. We passed maybe 6 cars the entire time. Had the "Yani Live at the Acropolis" CD blasting. I never thought a station wagon could be so much fun to drive, and I've driven PCH many times in various BMW's and GTI's. Car and Driver magazine once called PCH "The Best of the Best" of highways in America. Anyone who has been on it knows why.

Your turn.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I drove part of that road in my V-8 Hornet.

But I also loved Michigan Rt. 22, southbound along the west edge of Grand Traverse Bay from Leelenau State Park to Traverse City.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
My two favorite drives in my OBS are as follows:

Phantom Canyon Road which is part of the Gold Belt Tour of scenic byways. Located in Colorado, starting in Canon City, head due North to Cripple Creek. All unpaved and most along side of a creek bed. About four to five thousand feet elevation gain in about 21 miles. Extreme fun. No vehicles over 20 feet, and don't attempt in inclimate weather. One of my pics in my gallery has my car on this road.

The other is Skyline Drive in Colorado also. About 500 feet above Canon City area, with only a few feet on each side. Wow is the word. It is paved, but only for the strong willed.

Phantom Canyon Rd

Skyline Drive

Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts