Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The video shows a very detailed breakdown of an EJ253. Aside from that, he just gets things wrong. He starts with the poorest maintained engine from a decade ago, mentions the head gaskets that haven't been a problem since then, talks about oil consumption without mentioning that it was the first run of the F series, claims that there isn't clearance to change your own spark plugs, and completely neglects the fact that 6 cylinders have a timing chain instead of a belt.

Take a look for yourself.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
I find it very difficult to watch a disassembly in a dirty, greasy, disorganized shop where so many items are stored strewn about on the floor.

If you would like to see a clean and proper boxer engine disassembly, check this one out:

Bonus: It's not narrated, so you don't have to listen to constant yammering about Subaru boxer engine issues that may or may not have anything to do with the current design.

Second bonus: You won't see him separating the crankcase halves using a steel hammer on the aluminum castings; he uses a proper plastic-faced mallet.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,946 Posts
this is no different than Scotty Kilmer and he gets about as much respect...
It is funny you mention that, based on some of the remarks the video maker made in the comment section he appears to be a big Scotty Kilmer fan. I am living proof that by simply being a content creator, that does not make one an expert on anything.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
235 Posts
If I knew nothing about Subaru's, like Day-1 nothing, I could say that this video was at least minimally informative.

Knowing what I know now (which is not saying a lot), it was at best annoying.

But thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: Kevin

·
Registered
258 Posts
Had an 08 OBS with EJ253 and it was bullet proof until @145K when it was totaled unfortunately. No oil consumption, 2 relatively easy spark plug set changes (@50K and @100K miles), one valve cover gasket set change, coolant changes every @50K miles, timing belt set including water pump, thermostat change @94K miles with OE components and a Gates belt, PCV valve change one time. Besides the maintenance items mentioned, belts, hoses, brakes, oil/filter, tranny fluid, differential oils were replaced/maintained in tip top shape. I have not watched the video and have no intention of doing so.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,075 Posts
It is funny you mention that, based on some of the remarks the video maker made in the comment section he appears to be a big Scotty Kilmer fan. I am living proof that by simply being a content creator, that does not make one an expert on anything.
we do have a "scotty doesn't know thread" here somewhere. I am thinking @Brucey should challange him to a sandy hill climb. Brucey's awesome H6 on Ko2 vs. anything Scotty can dream up.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,971 Posts
Where’s this “Scotty doesn’t know”?
Just look for the guy on Youtube waving his arms around while he talks like he knows everything about every car made. He seems to make it possible to take what must at least be a pretty fair amount of car knowledge and then proceed to convince you that he is there purely for entertainment and number of views over accuracy. He sometimes reminds me of a balloon and the more he talks the emptier his head gets.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,075 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
Just look for the guy on Youtube waving his arms around while he talks like he knows everything about every car made. He seems to make it possible to take what must at least be a pretty fair amount of car knowledge and then proceed to convince you that he is there purely for entertainment and number of views over accuracy. He sometimes reminds me of a balloon and the more he talks the emptier his head gets.
Not just this.

It's that voice that sounds like an unmuffled chain saw cutting into dry fir:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts