Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at this so forgive my lack of car knowledge. My wife's car wouldn't start this afternoon so I gave it a jump and everything was great for a few hours and even started fine this morning. She tried to start it again this evening and nothing. Tried to jump it again and everytime the horn would just go off. I couldn't get anything other than the horn going off. Tried to replace the battery and now I'm getting nothing. Not even a light. I've checked fuses and I'm completely stumped. Please help!!

thanks,

jw

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
It sounds like your alarm activated the ignition kill switch when you swapped batteries. It is set that way so thieves can't override the alarm by disconnecting the battery. Make sure the new battery is connected well and then try the unlock or disarm button on your remote. If the horn beeps twice and or the lights blink twice you are in business and should be able to start the car. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still nothing...not a sound, or light. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm really in a tight spot here. Need the car desperately tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,308 Posts
Car year, engine, transmission?

If your not getting anything at all, not even a dome light coming on when the door is open, or the stop lights coming on when the brake is pressed, then it could be the battery is dead (are you sure it's fully charged -- an off-the-shelf parts store battery might not be), the connections between the battery and the cables are bad (it could be the cable wire itself is corroded and not actually making a good connection with the clamp at the end), or the main slow-blow fuse (SBF) in the fuse panel is blown.

David Peab is right about the security system being triggered, but as far as I know, that should affect only the starting, and perhaps result in lights flashing or the horn sounding, but not the total absence of any sign of power.

Again, year and model might be helpful in identifying specific areas/components to check.

·
Registered
16,308 Posts
Fairly new. Less likely the cables are bad, although still a possibility. Need to first make sure the battery is charged. After that, if none of the dome lights, step lights, map lights, driver power seat, or other functions that would normally work even with the key out, the connections will have to be checked downstream of the battery. There could be a broken wire.

This might be something for a more experienced person to look at.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Did you get the right battery? Weirder things have happened, red to red and black to black on the cables. There are left side and right side batteries. Seems weird for the battery to go out this soon and in non-cold weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Novablue
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing