Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the advise of Fibber2 to add an additional ground due to all the accessories I was running, I added a 4 gauge chassis ground from the battery to the ground on the strut tower at the fuse block grounding point. What a difference, something so simple, has made! I didn't realize how inadequate the factory ground was. The first thing I noticed was that the parking brake was engaging much quicker. The engine is starting noticeably quicker as well.

I also added a new battery cable terminal. I used...

Battery terminal - Duralast DL705
Battery cable - Duralast DW440B

I snipped and stripped the ends of the cables and connected them to the terminal. I covered the cables with conduit and electrical tape. It came out real clean.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
310 Posts
Love it, very nice install. Super-clean engine compartment too :) Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Maxboost08

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
1,024 Posts
I decided to do this too. Well, nowhere near as slick as your setup. But I added a 4-gauge pre-crimped wire between the battery post and the chassis. I also replaced the ground strap between the engine and the chassis below the battery with one that's quite a bit beefier.

Here I go with my confirmation bias again, but it seems like the RPM drop when using the windows is mostly gone, as is the momentary engine hesitation when coming to a stop. Nice and easy upgrade. Thanks for inspiring me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to do this too. Well, nowhere near as slick as your setup. But I added a 4-gauge pre-crimped wire between the battery post and the chassis. I also replaced the ground strap between the engine and the chassis below the battery with one that's quite a bit beefier.

Here I go with my confirmation bias again, but it seems like the RPM drop when using the windows is mostly gone, as is the momentary engine hesitation when coming to a stop. Nice and easy upgrade. Thanks for inspiring me.
Glad I could help.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,564 Posts
Thanks bunches! It's a work in progress.

More, like

"Right fruckking here, Subaru you screwed up. This should have been there from the factory."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maxboost ... nice engine compartment! ... I was looking at places to run an additional body ground just as you’ve done. I am interested in that bolt on the side of the shock tower, same one that you ran the cable to. Question: is that a captive nut? Or do you have get in there inside the fender lining to find and hold the nut? I’m afraid of loosening that bolt without this knowledge!!! Many thanks

On the advise of Fibber2 to add an additional ground due to all the accessories I was running, I added a 4 gauge chassis ground from the battery to the ground on the strut tower at the fuse block grounding point. What a difference, something so simple, has made! I didn't realize how inadequate the factory ground was. The first thing I noticed was that the parking brake was engaging much quicker. The engine is starting noticeably quicker as well.

I also added a new battery cable terminal. I used...

Battery terminal - Duralast DL705
Battery cable - Duralast DW440B

I snipped and stripped the ends of the cables and connected them to the terminal. I covered the cables with conduit and electrical tape. It came out real clean.

View attachment 496926

View attachment 496927

View attachment 496928

View attachment 496929

View attachment 496930

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
958 Posts
There are grounds from each head to frame, strut tower to engine, engine to firewall. All will like an upgrade. If you want total upgrade, do alt to battery+ with a fused cable.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maxboost ... nice engine compartment! ... I was looking at places to run an additional body ground just as you’ve done. I am interested in that bolt on the side of the shock tower, same one that you ran the cable to. Question: is that a captive nut? Or do you have get in there inside the fender lining to find and hold the nut? I’m afraid of loosening that bolt without this knowledge!!! Many thanks
It is a regular metric bolt. The threaded nut it screws into, is welded to the strut tower. The grounding bolt is easily removable, and replacable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Max I tried it this AM before work. I gingerly loosened that bolt and I figured if it wasn't captive I'd be able to tell on the way out

Anyhow. I only had time to do that one connnection, from the battery (-) terminal to that bolt on the side of the strut tower. I used a scotchbrite pad to clean up the area and a $5 24" 8-gauge cable with pre-crimped 5/16" ends ordered from Amazon. Fit perfectly. On the connections, I used a tiny bit of conductive carbon grease I had lying around. Took maybe 4 minutes.

I could not beLIEVE the difference even that one connection made!!! Operating the power windows no longer drops the idle speed. The e-brake is much quicker on/off. And get this: even the Bluetooth connection to the phone is immediate instead of taking 40-45 seconds to connect.

This weekend I will definitely add some additional ones. You can't be too rich or too thin, and I guess if you own an Outback (mine is a 2013 2.5 stick) you can't have too many grounds.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Max I tried it this AM before work. I gingerly loosened that bolt and I figured if it wasn't captive I'd be able to tell on the way out

Anyhow. I only had time to do that one connnection, from the battery (-) terminal to that bolt on the side of the strut tower. I used a scotchbrite pad to clean up the area and a $5 24" 8-gauge cable with pre-crimped 5/16" ends ordered from Amazon. Fit perfectly. On the connections, I used a tiny bit of conductive carbon grease I had lying around. Took maybe 4 minutes.

I could not beLIEVE the difference even that one connection made!!! Operating the power windows no longer drops the idle speed. The e-brake is much quicker on/off. And get this: even the Bluetooth connection to the phone is immediate instead of taking 40-45 seconds to connect.

This weekend I will definitely add some additional ones. You can't be too rich or too thin, and I guess if you own an Outback (mine is a 2013 2.5 stick) you can't have too many grounds.
Those are the same results I had. It is amazing what a little more grounding can do.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic, 2002 H6 Outback wagon VDC + 2001 2.5 VDC
289 Posts
Is the earthing really soooo bad on the gen4 then??
looks like another upgrade on the cards..
nice one..

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
968 Posts
Much probably depends upon the environment where the vehicle lives. Heavily-salted wintertime roads lead to corrosion issues, which in turn can easily cause grounding issues. But as previously indicated, better-quality grounding cables lead to significantly fewer or zero grounding issues.

Reactions: Toomanytoys

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic, 2002 H6 Outback wagon VDC + 2001 2.5 VDC
289 Posts
Probably worth cleaning up all the existing Earth points and applying a smear of “copperslip” to keep the moisture out too..
adding a new Earth to a clean point will of course be good..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts