2006 OBW - Airbag Light On - My fix - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Outback 2.5i Ltd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 OBW - Airbag Light On - My fix

I have a 2006 Outback 2.5i Ltd, and the airbag light has come on since it has been cold out. On warmer days, the light will randomly display. So, I had the dealer run a diag on it, since my car was in there for a transmission issue. When I picked up my car, the dealer told me the light wasn't throwing any type of code, and they found the issue to be a burned out LED bulb, located in the map light overhead console. This is the passenger ON/OFF light, and sure enough, if I tapped on it, the light would flicker. I asked how much it would cost to fix, he said it would be around $340 (- the $65 i paid for the diag), and the whole overhead console would need to be replaced. SO for a burned out bulb, it would cost me $270...are you kidding me??!! I now understand why so many refer to the dealer as the STEALER. Unbelievable. I was told that since the airbag light was on, the airbags would not deploy.

So, I jumped online, and found the overhead console (OEM) sold for around $115. I looked at mine, and figured out how to remove it .... remove the lens, and 2 screws secure it. So, now I am looking at the cost of the part, installing myself, and saving the ridiculous $160 installation fee (I guess it is $80/screw).

I figured since I had mine out, I might as well look at it. I removed the PCB that contained the 4 LEDs. With closer inspection, I could see one of the components on the board was loose...as in there wasn't enough solder to secure it. So, I whipped out the old soldering iron, and bolstered it a little. I may have added a little too much, but it was the best I could do w/ the tools I have @ home (better lab tools @ work). Anyway, tested it....works perfectly. In the pic below, I have called out the component that was loose.

I'd like to know what you all think about it. If it's a legit fix, hopefully I help someone else.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDpcb.jpg
Views:	5356
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	22621  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Car: 2009 Tribeca - Sold-2004 Outback EJ259
Nice job.
So a single badly soldered surface mount resistor.

I like it when people use their common sense and intuition to arrive at a simple fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Read Engine Data, Perform Adjustments & System Functional Tests

Arduino powered Outback? -Sold!
Yes I can dial in % of torque delivered to the rear wheels.
Saved the controller for the Tribeca
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 04:47 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6R
Nice work. I did the exact same think on my 2007 Outback. Was going to post the fix here soon. You beat me to it! LOL.

My dealership (actually both of the local dealerships) read the error code, 26 I believe, "passenger side indicator light malfunction", and told me that I needed to replace an ECU that is located behind the glove box console in the middle of the dash. $250 for the ECU and $100 to install. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. That would NOT have fixed the issue, $350 later.

In my case, once I had the IC board in my hand, I could wiggle the LEDs just a tiny bit and see that the solder on them was the issue. I just re-soldered the LEDs (and resistors, as well, just b/c I was already in there) and the airbag light has been off ever since.

OutMax

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Great work!

To round this thread out for others, could either of you elaborate on how to get to the board? E.g. how to remove the lens, assembly, board. . . etc. Any pics?
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

pics of the removal coming for you guys. let me run out and take some.... stand by
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, here goes....

[instructions, with pic reference name in parenthesis] (since i cannot put pics in-line with the instructions)

1. Locate the two slots to release the map light lens (see MapLightConsole, LensSlot). Insert a small flat-blade screwdriver, and gently pry the lens free (see LensFree), and remove lens

2. With the lens removed, locate two screws, and remove (see LensRemoved)

3. Locate the two retaining clips, which need to be pulled slightly toward the screw hole to free (see RetainingClip). Once the retaining clips have been freed, the console can be dropped down.

4. Release three connectors (see ConsoleWiring, and LEDCableConnector)

5. On the under-side of the console, locate two screws, and remove the LED cover (see LEDCover)

6. With the cover removed, you will see the LED PCB. Remove two screws to free the PCB (see LEDpcb).

[Just looking at this pic, I realized I forgot to put the protective black foam tape back over the IC components, protecting them from the cabling]

Hope this helps out. If anyone wants me to PDF-it, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MapLightConsole.PNG
Views:	3131
Size:	663.5 KB
ID:	22632   Click image for larger version

Name:	LensSlot.PNG
Views:	2834
Size:	599.6 KB
ID:	22633   Click image for larger version

Name:	LensFree.PNG
Views:	3130
Size:	774.7 KB
ID:	22634   Click image for larger version

Name:	LensRemoved.PNG
Views:	3014
Size:	799.9 KB
ID:	22635   Click image for larger version

Name:	RetainingClip.PNG
Views:	3325
Size:	669.6 KB
ID:	22636  

Name:	ConsoleWiring.PNG
Views:	3153
Size:	924.3 KB
ID:	22637   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDCableConnector.PNG
Views:	2977
Size:	561.1 KB
ID:	22638   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDCover.PNG
Views:	3105
Size:	910.4 KB
ID:	22639   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDpcb.PNG
Views:	3685
Size:	680.6 KB
ID:	22640  
mdywv, raffpoz and 2WOOFS like this.
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Great write-up and photos. This should be of significant help to anyone facing the same problem. Thanks.
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM

this sounds similar to my problem...
I just bought an '05 Outback 2.5XT ltd.
My airbag light comes on, more often when its cold, and the passanger seatbelt light illuminates/flashes on the overhead console (where the map lights/sunroof switch are). The chiming noise is awful. It acts as if the seat belts are not being worn.

Did anyone have the seatbelt chiming when the airbag light was on?
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

hey lude,

no chiming here, but i can imagine the pain in that one (would drive me nuts).

while researching my airbag issue, i remember reading something about the airbag connector under the passenger's seat. perhaps it is tied to your issue, even though there is no mention of the chime. here is the post i found under another forum (suby forester). maybe it will help....

Air Bag light ON - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

dan
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
Do any special procedures need to be taken prior to this fix, such as disconnecting the battery?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: