Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 392 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
Ref to number 2, the Onyx does not allow profiles for seat position. I believe it's suppose to, but those options don't exist in the software. Bummer.
Ref to number 5. I agree, totally non-intuitive. I did the same thing. Turned to volume level down and the phone volume through the speakers became louder.
Onyx doesn't have the seat position memory option. That's implemented as three buttons next to the driver's door latch on the higher trim levels.

Also, there is a five page thread on the exact same topic:

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
Anyone know why I wouldnt be seeing traffic colors on Google Maps in Car Play though they are on my iphone screen on google maps? Im brand new to car play. Phone shows traffic, Google Maps doesnt - at the same time.
Not sure about ACP but on Android Auto, there is a setting to enable/disable traffic display on Google Maps.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
meaning it will actually show one option on your phone and simultaneously show the other option on the car screen? I thought ACP or AA is just sort of mirroring the app settings from the phone.
I believe it is different settings between the app on the phone and AA (at least on Android). I have traffic always on in AA but always off on the app.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
A cool feature would be to allow creating shortcuts directly to toggles in the menus. So instead of clicking several times, we'd just have a toggle button right on the main page. I'll bet almost everyone would be happy with that, plus it would be useful for other configs.
I suggested this to the post delivery guy (the Love Encore program) and he mentioned Subaru is making it much more difficult, or at least as hard as possible to turn auto S/S off. They don't want you to turn it off.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
I don't know why Garmin doesn't team up with auto manufacturers. I trust Garmin much much more than TomTom. I've had two Garmin GPS devices (Drive 50 and Drive 61 LMT) and both were bulletproof. I completely depended on them through thousands of miles of places with no cell coverage and they never gave me trouble and have some really useful features for road trips that even Google maps lacks.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
fully agree with this, also from experience!
Love the 'Up ahead' and the breadcrumb features on the Garmins, such a simple but useful feature. Also the UI is MILES better. After using the devices, it is readily apparent that someone actually used them for their intended purpose and made the UI with that in mind.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
I think being spoiled with them all these years (Ive had 3 over many years, one I still use) is why I cant even tolerate the factory navs - they just aren't even close.
This was my road trip setup in my Impreza at the Grand Teron NP. I liked the GPS setup so much (easily reachable from my driver seat position) I left it there permanently:

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
You’ve enough electronics at hand there, may need to take flight lessons! Very cool pics BTW?
Thank you!

Now you see why I like the new big screen?! I went from 4 to 5 screens to 1 or 2 :)

Seriously though, the only really extra screen is the spare phone showing my engine stats in the middle there. I had a blown head gasket and my car did not have a temperature gauge. I did not want to overheat in the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
@chvvkumar - the pics are pretty fantastic. hobby or profession?

w.r.t. engine parameters, you'd think (a) Subaru would allow someone to place up on their display a set of parameters of their choosing and allow that custom display to be something the customer can save and call up again later, and (b) Subaru would enhance the voice recognition so that the driver could verbally ask for the value of a number of parameters (oil temp, coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, battery voltage, etc), and (c) like the 2020 and other manufacturers, they would fix the voice recognition so a person can direct vocal commands to the head-unit for it to process the request, or to Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

please Subaru, step up your programming game.
Just a hobby :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
I've noticed the reduction, the worst change being that "pocket" below the screen. The USB ports are there, making it difficult to store anything there, even a phone.
Wait, I have the wireless charger but my Pixel 2 XL phone with it's Spigen case still fits fine (if a bit pain to remove from the cubby with the gear shifter all the way forward blocking the opening).

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
My wife just got a new Onyx XT and loves it. I’m really impressed as well but I’m a Legacy man so I’m having visions of the Legacy Limited XT or maybe a WRX. Any way I’ve read that there may be, or perhaps already have been, significant software updates in the future. How exactly is this done OTA? We are trying to avoid having additional cell service charges or other subscriptions.
Two kinds of updates:

1. Infotainment system and navigation maps (if equipped): Over the air via. the internet/WiFi
2. System updates for the ECU, Transmission etc.: Via the dealer. You have to take the car in.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
Thanks guys. Has anyone done the WiFi updates? I’d have trouble hauling the Outback up the stairs to our condo apartment. Although parking at Starbucks might work.
Funny!

I can see my car parked in my apartment from my bedroom window. What I did was setup WiFi sharing on my desktop in my bedroom and connect the car to it, instead of my main WiFi network. The other option is to connect the car to your phone if the updates are small enough (or if you have unlimited data).

The issue I see with public wifi hotspots are I don't know if the car has a browser to log into captive portals.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
I've been tracking this since early November. Seems like the # of items that will get fixed keeps getting smaller while the date continues to slip to the right (about 30 days of slip for every 30 days that goes buy). This is not encouraging at all.
Sigh......and that's why I never wanted to manage as Software Project. They are never on time arnd rarely deliver to expectations/specifications. The good news is that I'm starting to get used to listening to my tunes in the default settings. :-(
Remember that Subaru never officially committed to an update in January. We were speculating on it but it was never confirmed. It may not even happen until much later.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
That may be but we had some pretty plugged in sources telling us January ( including people my dealership). So if no date is published, do they kick the udtate down the road till next model year?
(Rant here) ....These cars have been being built for nearly 6 months. The initial software package should have been done and tested well before that. They have had plenty of time to write software fix's for allot of the commonly reported issues. If they are not ready now, it's because they are not putting enough engineering $ towards the problem (which is likely why we are having this discussion in the first place) As a consumer, I'd rather see 50 anoying "low hanging fruit" issues fixed today than the promise of them fixing all150 in July. Since it's over the air, there is no reason they couldn't carve this up. I love the car but I'm starting to have reservations to the companies commitment to their customer after the sale.
I actually agree and I am surprised that they are not doing software updates in the CI/CD model. Seems like the obvious solution to the current software defined everything in the car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,894 Posts
Document even if you only get service done at the dealership. I know they keep a record but I rather have a paper trail of my own so I keep every receipt they give me. The dealership can and will screw you over if they feel you have no choice. Warranty work doesn't pay them as much vs repairs paid directly by the customer so they will try to get out of having to do it.
I make sure the service shows up on mysubaru.com.

1 - 20 of 392 Posts