Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Just about any car can be tuned for more performance. Obviously some more than others, but I would say for your run of the mill car, not true sports car, MFRs just tune them for efficiency (i.e. mpg) but there's always something to be squeezed out of most cars.

If XRT can do that safely, and that is key for me since it's my daily driver, than why not. I like that he's conservative so as to not do any kind of damage. Have not heard one bad review from the legacy forum or here.

Reactions: bob.oconnor.5030

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/398490-my-3-6-ob-now-xtreme-tuned-thoughts-impressions.html
First let me say that initially I was going to get a '17 WRX 6 speed, however due to having a family and my wife wanting an automatic, we decided to get an Outback. I was not excited at first, but once we purchased our '17 Outback Limited 3.6R I was starting to realize how well built this car was, along with being so luxurious (from previous Subarus I've had), as well as how the 3.6R could sprint fairly well, and handle excellently for a car it's size after I put my 19mm rear sway bar on soon after purchase.

I learned about XRT with the post on here about Ed. First let me say, Ed is a very great guy to work with. He is extremely patient and walked me through the entire process. He went out of his way to accommodate the odd times I was available considering I have rug rats running around me at all times at home.

First I dropped in an AFE Pro Dry S filter in the air box. I immediately noticed that throttle response was better, with a tad more pull through the gears, and a nice "whoosing" intake sound, that's very subtle, but perfect for a car like this.

After I got my laptop setup, Ed was right there to help me via phone (BBM) and remotely to get me under way.

This tune is AWESOME! I was not expecting much considering my car is stock, save for a simple air filter replacement. After two revisions my Outback feels MUCH stronger, sounds better, and shifts like no other automatic I've driven.

You have total control with the input of your foot to get the exact gear, and amount of power you want as you drive. There are no more sluggish shifts, as the car confidently gets into "gear", snaps you back in your seat and continues to pull into the next gear.

Off the line is greatly improved. The weird "CVT" lunge that haunts these cars is gone. I feel that the car has improved so much from a dig than before, that it feels like a different car.

As I did some WOT pulls on the interstate the Flat 6 roared with delight and eagerness that seemed absent before. The car is SO much more fun to drive now. I have owned many cars, trucks, and performance vehicles, and I was mentioning to Ed on the phone yesterday that my Outback is the most BALANCED, solid vehicle I've had the pleasure to own. It does everything very well, and although it's 3800lbs+, it feels very nimble, and handles this amount of power increase just right.

I went with the 91 octane tune. Initially I tried the 87 tune by Ed, but wanted more. He was able to dial in the tune just right, and increased the timing. Now my Outback feels as strong as my mom's 2011 Volvo X70 T6, but handles much better, shifts better, and is far more responsive in the throttle response department.

For anyone that wants their wagon to have more power, and improved drivability should consider talking to Ed about this best mod. Once Ed heard me giggling over bluetooth after the second revision, he knew he had produced yet another satisfied and happy customer.

I'm looking forward towards the car running even stronger as it learns my driving style (spirited x10 LOL). Ed and I are going to do one more revision on the tune today to clean up a few minor things he had found through the log.

Thank you Ed, and thank you Subaru Forums for allowing him to introduce an excellent performance mod for a car, that is clamoring for a car enthusiasts touch and feel. :wink2:

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Although I didn't go through with the XRT tuning (long story but wife put the kibosh on that due to concerns over warranty), I just wanted to say that if anyone is thinking about it, Ed is the person to do it with. He's super personable and very patient. Gets back to you in what feels like seconds when I had tons of questions when I first started. He was very understanding when I had to back out. You won't find many tuners like him that also offer lifetime support.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
431 Posts
Well, just when I thought the tune couldn't get better, I bought ecuedit and had Ed dial in the fuel.

What a difference! The car runs so strong and so smooth. The throttle is so responsive with every ounce of force you put on the gas pedal. After each shift the car pushes so much harder, all the way red line. I'll say it again, but I am so happy with my car that it feels like a very quick, capable wagon that drives like a sports sedan.

Off the line the car hauls amazingly! There is no lag, and no lunge like before. The shifts are so crisp, positive and fast. This CVT is the best automatic transmission I've driven. I took my wife out on a date night yesterday and she couldn't believe how much faster the car felt. She is not a car person by any means, but she felt like it drove like a different car.

The engine has a very mean GROWL to it. The flat 6 is a joy to drive, and utilizes all of it's torque very well on this ca, with the new tune.

I can't tell you how much patience Ed had with me. He spent many long nights guiding me through the process, as I was happy to learn more about the car, as well as the tuning software.

Overall I am very satisfied, and would highly recommend anyone getting an XRT custom tune from Ed. It's not just the power, it's the overall responsiveness and driveability that happens when he fine tunes the CVT.

I've had a few custom tunes on other vehicles, but this, by far was the best experience and end result. Now I'm a eager to add more power mods and improve the tune even further. Next up would be a catback exhaust, or muffler replacement that doesn't drone.

Logging was very fun, and it was so great to get a new revision and see how the car performed better and better.

WELL WORTH THE MONEY! :wink2:

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium
94 Posts
Subaru hasn't provided any shifts from the factory.

All they have provided is software to make you think the CVT is shifting. As a CVT doesn't shift, you cannot tune it to shift quicker or firmer. All you can do is change the software to make you think it is shifting quicker or firmer.

It's all smoke and mirrors and doing little more than appease those that do not understand the CVT. A continuously variable transmission is meant to function smoothly and seamlessly throughout the torque curve and not have pretend shift points.
I'm well aware of this (see here) but thanks for the info. This is why I can't stand what Subaru has done with this CVT.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Hint: Take a read of engine request torque, traction control limiting engine request torque and dbw tables mapping. Then you will understand :)

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,075 Posts
There is also huge things that modern torque converters can do these days. The another key is to balance the "request for torque" with the power output from the motor.

This relationship is what drag racers work with...and it varies with track conditions.

The "perfomance" of the CVT is affected by the performance of the TC and it's relationship to the power. It's not as easy as saying a CVT is constantly variable and already optimized as designed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Subaru Legacy Forums - View Single Post - 6th Gen Tuning Thread
Just started my tune with XRT over the weekend. Only on the first revision as I am having ROMRaider issues, more to follow.

Initial impressions are wonderful, the car now drives like you would expect it to. Instant throttle response with improved CVT shifting. I am also hoping to see some improvement in fuel economy as well. Edward is great to work with and very responsive.

Another perk I noted is that the tune changed the exhaust tonal so it is not quite as harsh as it was before. A little more civilized but with more bite than before.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,075 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=725

This topic been deleted by bias Legacygt.com administrators who saw fit to not promote XRT as a legitimate tuner over the other tuners of those who they promote, but shows no results. XRT was attached and defended its name, but due to possible racist scenario's and other situations beyond understanding, it was deleted. That topic was created by one of my customers promoting XRT excellent service to the community.

Below is all that is left to show that something did happen.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5585768&postcount=511
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5585820&postcount=513
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5586197&postcount=515

This has taught me that they are others out there who are willing to keep people in the dark and promote hate, propaganda and lies. We have continue to produce data and videos to back up our claims. We will continue to offer premium service to whosoever come to XRT for support.

We have review tunes from other well known tuners in the Gen 6 2.5i/3.6 arena, and we can tell you that those tunes barely does anything except just minor changes. With XRT, a mass amount and changes, including tuning the car's Ignition. No other tuner does that now. We have also affected the CVT operations tremendously, that customers are singing praises on this. Yet the other groups tuned by someone else cannot even produce a graph, a 0-60mph time, a video...nothing except the tune is great. This was the scenario on LegacyGT.com. So all of my customers who provided reviews on a topic posted by a customer of XRT was deleted and again, those who continue to promote HATE, False information, Scare Tactic through pm to potential customers, continue to run while on that site. To date, I have not receive no feedback from the Mods or a reply to my pm on how I have not promoted XRT on LegacyGT.com, but restricted, but those who promoted hate to even posting my picture online can do as they like? I am convince those mods support another vendor who is not legit on that site but is called Legendary. If you are legendary, let me see results. We have results all over the place. A properly working 3.6SC that came to us for help, 2.5i SC, racing STI etc etc etc.

LegacyGT.com is not once great site it use to be and once again, another forum is lost to political correctness and miss information. I believe information that is there that is older than a year is correct, but be careful to what you read. Try to back up that information from multiple sites.
I pray that this forum does not go this way.

Customer review - http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5584455&postcount=36
The monkey with the camera is back from the dead. With due cause.

I will not post a comparison between tuners (I have experience with both) on this thread. This will come at a much later date, as I am still curious to see what Matt has in store as far as updates go.

I have been working with Ed for a few weeks now. Tuning the 2.5i has been a joy to say the least. Working with Ed, an even greater joy. First, his customer service is top notch. Response rate is quick, and quality responses can always be expected. Put it this way, reaching out to Ed is like reaching out to a friend: hit him up whenever you want, and he is always happy to talk, even if it's to bs for a bit. He is a genuine human being that enjoys working on cars, and enjoys the company of likeminded people. Ed has become my friend just as much as he has become my tuner. To date I have received three tunes (just as from TH):

Tune v0a - light work on the DBW, slight increase in power and responsiveness. I was not all that crazy about it, since I was just coming from TH's last tune, but I gave Ed the benefit of the doubt, as I knew he was close by to continue tuning regularly.

Tune v0b - much more response and power from the car. It was a **** of a pleasure to drive. Ed and I were ready to actually stop here since it was really that nice of a drive. It was aggressive when it needed to be, and could coast comfortably when I needed it to be. It was the car I wanted it to be. Of course it is still a 2.5i, but for what it was, it was a really great drive. Crisp shifts made driving fast easy and fun. The oil temp stayed at my normal 210-218 even under heavy driving. I was dipping through traffic without a problem. Today I actually kept up with a souped up Audi a4 on the highway, it was not a problem at all.

Tune v0c - Ed sent it to me a few days ago out of nowhere, said "Give this a shot for shits and giggles." Immediately after getting home from work, I flashed it onto my car. I turned the key, engine roared, then died. Then again, and again. As I sat on the floor in my basement wondering if I had been screwed over by Ed, I thought to myself, why not just reflash v0b and ask Ed what the deal is? After some discussion he advised me to refresh v0c and see if it would was just some sort of error in the flashing process. Anything is possible right? Well, it worked. I turned the key and was relieved to hear my engine continue to purr after a few seconds. I was getting ready to turn my car off and set up RomRaider, so that I could troubleshoot the tune with Ed, when my nagging girlfriend asked me to feed her. As much as I wanted to troubleshoot - and yes it was that serious, I was still so worried about the tune on my car that I didn't want to move it until it was sorted out, or determined that v0c was a bust and v0b needed to go back in - I decided to hop in the car, along with my laptop incase I ran into problems, and go grab some food with her. My God, am I happy that I decided to drive the car with v0c. At first, the car felt really weird, it was the first time I ever felt something like this in my car. I could not figure out what was causing this weird feeling though, until I realized my car was behaving pretty **** similarly to a manual transmission. Under 35 mph on flats and uphills, the car sits way high up in the rpm range, around 3-4k, as if I was in 1st or 2nd gear, EXACTLY HOW I WOULD KEEP IT IN MANUAL MODE. Downhills it sits nice and low around 1600, EXACTLY HOW I WOULD KEEP IT IN MANUAL MODE. The car was so freaking responsive, it was too much for me to take in. I didn't realize how fun it was until I got back into the snaking hills of my neighborhood. On one specific uphill snake, I decided to rip it. The car just sat high in the rpm range anytime I let off the gas (which wasn't often LOL) ready to play again. I ripped up these hills faster than I ever have, with more joy than I ever have. I FREAKING LOVE THIS TUNE. It isn't a tune for everyone though, it is quite radical in my opinion, but the best I have experienced yet.

Also keep in mind, these three tunes were log free so far. He has come quite a long way with my 2.5i even without logging. Once we log, I am sure further improvements will be made. Also, ignition maps still have not been touched, again further improvements.

So far this is my experience with Ed. It has been a great pleasure so far. If you are considering tuning with Ed, I recommend giving it a shot. If you want to know more about the experience feel free to pm me, or one of the many people part of a great community of like minded individuals that Ed has brought together to enjoy the beauty of the XRT tuned Subaru engine.

If you want to see the video Ed is referring to, and listen to me laugh like a little girl because of excitement, pm me and I will share the link with you!

I hope this has helped you become slightly more informed about Ed and XRT, updates will follow as we continue to improve the 2.5i.

Thank you for reading,
The Monkey with the Camera, Dr. Photo

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened at legacyGT. It's their loss because you're a very honest stand up guy.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
That's true, but when I first started looking at tuning, there was a site called edgetuning.com
That site is no long up and seems to had been Asian. It was precise and very very factual with little content. That means it was precise.

That being said, I modelled that site in my terminology of XRT. That is, a library to the world.

I see why many old top Tuners don't post any more on such sites. The moderators are a disgrace to development and truth. That's how the world is now. Sad.

Well anyone wanting to see fact, can always review XRT. I try to maintain accurate data as much as possible. That's my field.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts